The Chevrolet Corvette was selected to pace the Indy 500 for the third time in 1995. Other than mandatory safety features (including a specially designed rollbar), the Corvette needed no modifications to meet pace car specifications.
The pace car was driven by Chevrolet general manager Jim Perkins. It was his third time driving the pace car at Indy.
One trivia note (that is sometimes a controversy) can be seen in an early pre-race publicity photo. The Pace Car sported a thin white pinstripe above and below the red nose / front fender stripe. This was eliminated prior to the race, and none of the replicas offered by GM had the white pinstripes.
The winner of the race this year was Jacques Villeneuve, driving the #27, Player's LTD/Team Green, Reynard, Ford Cosworth XB
This year 527 Indy Pace Car replicas were produced with the exact same options. The specifications for these replicas are:
(Z4Z option package)
* Convertible Dark Purple Metallic over White Two-Tone paint
* Special Indy Decal Package
* Special Indy Emblems
* 5.7L Engine (LT1)
* 4-Speed Automatic Transmission
* Performance Axle Ratio (3.07:1)
* 9.5" Front and Rear Argent ZR-1 Wheels
* P275/40ZR17 B/W Tires
* Coated ZR-1 Rotors
* Black Interior
* Black Leather Adjustable Sport Bucket Seats with purple Insert and Indy Logo on Headrest
* Electronic Air Conditioning
* Delco/Bose Music System with electronically tuned AM/FM Stereo Radio, Cassette Tape and CD Player Power Driver & Passenger Seats